Posted on 03-08-2012
Bananas- containing 3 natural sugar s- sucrose, fructose and glucose, combined with fiber, give an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy. Bananas also contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood, and generally make you feel happier. Think of how you feel after the turkey on Thanksgiving! You're feeling the same chemical reactions in your body with a banana. Research has shown that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout.
Energy isn't the only way that a banana can keep us fit. It can also help overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions, making it a must to add to our daily diet.
Let's see what else bananas can help us out with:
• PMS- Forget popping Midol, just eat a banana. The vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood. Bananas can also help settle your stomach.
• Anemia- High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood, therefore helping anemia.
• Constipation- High in fiber, including bananas in the diet can help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome the problem without having to resort to laxatives.
• Hangovers- One of the quickest ways of curing a hangover is to make a banana milkshake, sweetened with honey. The banana calms the stomach and with the help of the honey, builds up depleted blood sugar levels. The milk soothes and rehydrates your system. Lactose intolerant? Use soy or almond milk and that'll also do the trick!
• Morning sickness- snacking on bananas between meals helps keep blood sugar levels from dipping too low, and helps avoid morning sickness.
• Ulcers or heartburn- the banana is used as the dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and smoothness. It is the only raw fruit that can be eaten without distress in chronic cases. Bananas have a natural antacid effect on the body, by neutralizing over-acidity and reducing irritation by coating the lining of the stomach.
Looks like bananas really are a natural remedy for many ills. When you compare it to an apple, it has four times the protein, twice the carbohydrates, three times the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals. It's one of the biggest bangs for your nutritional buck! So maybe it's time to change the well-known phrase into "A banana a day keeps the doctor away!" For more nutritional counseling and to see how chiropractic can help these and similar conditions, give your Avondale chiropractor a call at 773-545-2233 today!